If your iOS device, be it iPhone or iPad, is not working correctly for some reason and you are experiencing some issues, there are many ways to fix each. But when nothing else seems to be working, DFU mode is something worth trying. In this article, we will answer the common question – what is DFU mode? We are also going to show you how to enter this mode.
What is DFU mode?
First, let’s explain what DFU mode is.
DFU stands for Device Firmware Update. It is a special mode in which you place your iOS device (iPhone or iPad), and the device will be able to interface with iTunes on your Mac or your PC. The device can be restored, even though the iPhone’s system or bootloader won’t be loaded. It is the option to turn to when your iOS device is bricked or not working correctly.
How to enter DFU mode?
Now that you know what DFU mode is, here are the steps to enter the mode:
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC or Mac
- Launch iTunes (and make sure you have the latest iTunes version)
- Turn off your iOS device
- Next, hold the Home button and the sleep/power button for about 10 seconds, then release the power button.
- Keep holding the Home button until you see a message that iTunes has detected your device in recovery mode.
- Click OK
- The screen of your iOS device will be black
Now that your iPhone or iPad is in DFU mode, you can select the option you want, such as restoring from a backup, setting the device as new, and doing whatever you have planned.
While entering the DFU may seem tricky, as you can see, it is pretty simple. The most important thing about it is that you can fix the issues that have been bothering you and put things back in motion again.