If the camera on your MacBook is not working, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is a hardware-related issue. Before contacting Apple or visiting one of their stores, you can try the potential solutions listed below. Let’s see what to try when the MacBook camera is not working.
Things to do when MacBook camera is not working
There are several things to try, and we will list them all below.
Restart your MacBook
If you have issues with your MacBook, including camera-related ones, restart it first. Glitches are normal; most of the time, a simple restart can fix various issues. So, before going any further, try this because it may fix the problem, and the camera may start working again.
If the camera is not working when you use a specific app, you must ensure the app has permission to use the camera. Here's how to check that:
- Click on the Apple menu and then go to System Preferences
- Click Security & Privacy
- Now click on the Privacy tab
- Click Camera
- You will see a list of apps there
- Give the apps permission by checking the ones you want.
Screen time restrictions
It often turns out that screen restrictions were the ones to blame. Here is what you should do:
- Click on the Apple menu
- Go to System Preferences
- Click Screen Time
- Click Content & Privacy
- Now click Apps
- The checkbox for the camera should be selected, so if it is not, enable it.
The next thing is to check if there is a software update. To update the software on your MacBook, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Apple menu, go to System Preferences, and then click Software Update
- If there is a new version, click Upgrade Now.
When having some issues on your MacBook or Mac, and it seems like you can’t get rid of the problem, you can reset SMC (system management controller).