Apple TV brings a lot of excitement and fun, right? But all that excitement can disappear in seconds if the remote stops working. This doesn’t happen often, but when it does, there are some workarounds. Here, we will show you what steps to take when the Apple TV remote is not working.
Is the Apple TV not working? Try these
There are different types of Apple TV remotes – Siri Remote, Apple TV Remote, and Apple Remote (aluminum or white). No matter which one you have, make sure to stay within the range of your Apple TV. Also, make sure that nothing is blocking the remote. Also, unplug your Apple TV from the power source, plug it in a few seconds later, and try using your remote again.
If you have an Apple Remote (aluminum or white):
- First, replace the battery
- Unpair the remote: On the remote, press and hold the Menu and Left for a few seconds. When you do this, an icon will appear over the remote control icon (it looks like two chain links).
- Pair the remote: On the remote, press and hold the Menu icon and right for a few seconds. When you do this, an icon will appear over the remote control icon (it looks like two chain links are joined).
If you have a Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote:
- Use a Lightning USB cable and a USB wall charger to charge the remote for at least 30 minutes at least
- Turn off the Accessibility feature – if you enabled this feature, remote scrolling wouldn’t work. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility.
- Pair your remote repeatedly – point the remote to the TV from 3 inches away. Press and hold the Menu (or Back) and Volume Up buttons on your remote for 5 seconds. If asked, place your remote on the receiver to complete the pairing.
- If you have an Apple Remote (aluminum or white), try and see if it works
If nothing seems to be working, contact Apple.